Monday, July 16, 2007

super fun

Stage 3. Mayhrofen, Austria to Brixen, Italy. It still feels like Austria, since everyone speaks German. Such fun for everyone today. The stage started with some rolling road and dirt road, ultimately turning into a big climb (4800 vertical feet). The top half was rough double track, loose rock, and even some singletrack. This exposed the weakness of the euro riders. Certainly fast climbers and punishing on the flats, they turn into uber wussies when the trail gets the least bit technical. It was hilarious to watch Tyler ride up the techy climb, yelling “Rider up!” and “this is a mountain bike race.” He didn’t throw any punches, but just maybe he rode into a few people pushing their bikes on purpose. We were blessed with incredible views of the Austrian and Italian Alps, crossing into Italy at Pfitscherjoch. Even better was the cool breeze and cooler temps, because it’s been hot. The top of the climb was at 30K and the stage was 94K long, so the last 64K was a blistering downhill and rolling bike path. At one point, Tyler and I were in a peloton of 40 plus people on a 6 foot wide rolling bike path. The noise of the knobby tires on pavement was pretty incredible.
Here’s the breakdown:

Green Mountain Boys: Best day for me so far- I finally felt my legs were where they’ve been. Best finish yet, and we moved up in the standings. Some highlights were mentioned above, but I should also mention my forced Le Mans style remount at the second aid station when Tyler rode away with my bike while I had a pee break. Great way to loosen up the legs; sprinting to catch your bike for more 25 mile per hour bike path peloton. Near the end of the stage, Tyler and I were in a 10 person group when someone spazzed and took out about six riders around me, including hitting my back wheel. Fortunately I stayed up. Great sprint finish.

Mile High Riders: Brian and Liz enjoyed the shady start. Brian enjoyed drafting behind the well built riders in front of him. Something about orange bike shorts. Both crossed the finish line with smiles on their faces, Brian heading immediately for ice cream, Liz dunked herself in the fountain in the town square. All told, a solid stage for the MHR.

Team Soft Core: Cath rode well today, after being able to eat and drink to sufficiently fuel herself. After riding the top technical climb (the only person in sight to do so), she scored an Ali G “Respec!” call out from an onlooker. Great fun all around for TSC.

The stage finished in a beautiful square, surrounded by steeples. We commandeered a table at a shady cafĂ© and refueled and waited for everyone to come in. Even better is the backyard of our hotel with a pool, patio and brews. Cath even managed to “choke” down a gin and tonic, her first cocktail since the start of the transalp. I had run up to the bar to get a brew and Chris Merritt had asked me to get her a glass of tonic. “No gin?” I ask.
“No thanks.” So when I return, she has a ziplock of ice cubes and her own bottle of gin. Classic Darien.

Looking forward to tomorrows two big climbs and our first stage in sthe Dolomites.

Ciao.

No comments: