Sunday, July 15, 2007

super suffer

Stage 2. Reith to Mayhrofen. 11,000 feet of climbing. 90 degrees. Sun like a laser. All was well until the last climb- 4800 feet of climbing over 9000 feet in elevation. Even the three Coloradans were appalled and beat down. Sort of hard to put into words. Following the massive climb, there was a ripping fast descent that unfortunately turned to pavement with oncoming traffic. Someone attempting to pass Liz had a head on with an oncoming car. Preliminary information is the guy is ok, but may not be racing for the rest of the week. Turns out he was a roadie, not in the race, trying to pass Liz. Sprained his shoulder. Guess he’ll have to shave his legs with his other arm.

Green Mountain Boys- tyler was strong as usual, and I had a much better day. I did languish a bit on the last climb. OK, fine- a lot. Nonetheless, we moved up a few spots. I’m more pleased with my effort, but still have some improvement to make. At least I looked super hot in my full white kit.

Mile High Riders- Liz and Brian were strong with their Colorado legs and lungs. Liz’s climbing skills and willingness to suffer were certainly an attribute, as was Brian’s patience and support.

Team Hard Core- Their name is now officially changed given Cath’s fearless preservation through dehydration and nausea. Aaron was an unbelievable domestique to her as well, providing moral support, pushing and towing. Given the ban on tow mechanisms, Cath was pulling on Aaron’s Camelbak, thereby pulling his bottom down harder onto the saddle. I’ll let him fill you in when he returns to VT. Something tells me he will.

I write as I sit in a wonderfully quaint restaurant in a square in Mayhrofen with Ty, Cath, Liz, Brian, Aaron and the Merritts. No kidding, there is an Oom-Pa-Pa band playing outside. Sweet the waiter just brought me another brew. Tyler has resigned himself to drinking wheat beers after his first three days in Italy consisted of stammering ”stout” to a bemused server.

So tomorrow is a longer stage at 94K, but only one big climb. Granted it’s 5000 feet. Check in tomorrow for more adventures.

No comments: